I've been off work for the past week so I've had plenty of time to cook plenty of yummy things for my mom.
This past week alone I've made BLTs with Avocado spread, Roasted Chicken wings with an herb/lemon marinade, Egg Noodle Pasta with White Wine Butter sauce and sauteed shrimp, Jambalaya, Herb Roasted Potatoes, Chocolate Chip Cookies and a Roasted Tomato Goat Cheese tart.
I told my mom not to get used to eating this well. I normally cook like this once a week and I wouldn't be surprised if I gained a few pounds.
I've noticed that as I've created all these delicacies I have an extreme love of white cooking wine (Publix brand--nothing too fancy). It adds a really nice flavor to dishes, especially ones with butter. I also love using spices and I have no issue using dried ones especially since I seem to have an issue keeping fresh herbs alive. I don't have an herb garden (my green thumb is actually quite brown) and paying $1.99 a pop for a bag of basil every week is not my idea of simple--or cheap. Naturally, you have to use less of the dried ingredients because they are stronger but you still get the same taste effect. If you're keen upon making a dish look pretty then I would suggest buying fresh herbs. But what's the point? It's going to wind up in your stomach eventually.
Either way cooking and experimenting with recipes is a great thing to especially if you have a lot of free time like I did this week. And it's always fun to find a random recipe and try it out. And now you can find apps for your phone where thousands are available at the touch of a button. Some of my favorites are Epicurious and All Recipes Dinner Spinner.
Give it a try!
No comments:
Post a Comment